Dr. Jacob Rullo MD, PhD
- Ophthalmology Residency: Queen's University (2020)
- Medical School: University of Toronto (2015)
- PhD, Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto (2015)
My research focus is in characterizing differences in the ocular microenvironment with respect to the discovery of novel biomolecules/biomarkers, understanding intraocular immune mechanisms, and the immune biology of the external ocular surface.
- Rullo J, Pennimpede T, Mehraban Far P, Strube Y, Irrcher I, Urton T, Bona M, Gonder T, Campbell R, ten Hove M, Sharma S, Farmer J, Petkovich M. Intraocular Calcidiol: Uncovering a role for vitamin D in the eye. Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Accepted 2019.
- Rullo J, Bae S, Mehraban Far P, Hazimi AA, Gupta V, Bal M, Hopman W, Irrcher I, Urton T, Bona M, Campbell R, Gonder T, Sharma S. Intraocular antibodies as a novel target for understanding and treating vascular diseases of the eye. Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology. Accepted 2019.
- Mehraban Far P, Rullo J, Kratky V. The Use of Telemedicine in the Management of Life-threatening periorbital necrotizing fasciitis in a remote community. Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine. In-press 2019.
- Liu, D, Rullo J, Krakty V., Farmer J. Histiocytic sarcoma of the eyelid. Saudi Journal of Ophthalmology. In-press 2019.
- Rullo J, Mehraban Far P, Farmer J, Clement-Baker M, ten Hove M. A curious case of arteritis: Infectious, inflammatory or both. Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology. In-press
- Fine N, Dimitriou I, Rullo J, Sandi M, Petri B, Haitsma J, LaRose J, Kubes P, Cybulsky M and Rottapel R. GEF-H1 is necessary for neutrophil shear stress induced migration during inflammation. Journal of Cell Biology. 2016 Oct 10; 215 (1): 107-119.
- Sharma S, Rullo J, Sharma NA. The future of medical education in ophthalmology. Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology. 2016 June; 51(3): 128-129.
- Rullo J, Lloyd J. Long term clinically significant deterioration of visual quality due to sub-surface nano glistening formation on Acrysof intraocular lens. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. 2014 February; 40: 336-337.
- Rullo J, Weisbrod D. Ophthalmology Curriculum Revision: 2013-2014. Responsible for updating the content, images and clinical pearls in the Ophthalmology 2013-2014 syllabus. University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine. Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences. Course Code: OPT 300Y1. Sept 2013.
- Becker H, Rullo J, Chen M, Ghazarian M, Bak S, Xiao H, Hay J, Cybulksy MI. α1β1 Integrin-Mediated Adhesion Inhibits Macrophage Exit from a Peripheral Inflammatory Lesion. Journal of Immunology. 2013 Apr 15;190(8):4305-4314.
- Rullo J, Becker H, Hyduk SJ, Wong J, Digby G, Cano AP, Hartwig J, Cybulsky MI. Actin polymerization stabilizes α4β1 integrin anchors that mediate monocyte adhesion. Journal of Cell Biology. 2012 Apr 2;197(1):115-129.
- Hyduk S, Rullo J, Digby G, Cano AP, Cybulsky MI. Talin-1 and kindlin-3 regulate α4β1integrin-mediated adhesion stabilization, but not GPCR-induced affinity up-regulation. Journal of Immunology. 2011 Oct 15;187(8):4360-4368.
- Begora A, Rullo J, Beauduin S, Liaw P, Fox-Robichaud AE. Hepatic leukocyte recruitment in response to time-limited expression of TNF-a and IL-1ß. American Journal of Physiology and Gastrointestinal Liver Physiology. 2007 Oct;293(4):G663-72